Thursday, January 18, 2007

All glitter under cover

Shopping for a pair of shoes- took me 15 stores to find the right pair... No!!! this one wasn't it.


Saris on display in a store - Muttrah souk

If there was one thing I did while in Muscat, it was shop..... not for myself exactly, but for my friend's wedding prep ( I did shop for a pair of shoes... I shopped/window shopped at Ruwi (Colaba of Muscat), and in the malls, at the Souks and the expensive boutiques. One thing that was a constant was glitter... on clothes, on shoes, on jewellery, on decorations.... their fascination with all that shines, that is big and bold is interesting to note.....
Most of the goods are merchandised for women, who are under the abaya ( the long veil they wear over their clothes) when in public. So is it their need to add some glamour to the sombre outfits that attracts them to bold designs & glitter? I wanted to ask the few women that I passed by in the stores, but never mustered enough courage to do so.... Wish I had though... hindsight is always 20/20 isn't it???

No comments: